Drilling, boring, and reaming are key machining operations that result in the creation of holes. In other words, drilling makes a hole in a component that previously didn’t have a hole. Boring and reaming correctly expand existing holes. Boring processes on turning machines typically are less complex compared to boring processes on milling machines.
Boring provides unique benefits than other techniques for creating holes like reaming. It comes with a distinct set of rules. The rule of thumb as far as boring is concerned is maintaining the boring bars to the least length. At the initial phases of any production planning, a lot of effort must be committed towards a machining policy that will maintain boring bars as petite as possible. Choosing the best boring bar requires extensive research and a strict eye for details. Read on to discover 10 unique boring bars available in the market in 2021.
- Table of the Best Boring Bars:
- 01. SCLCR Lathe Boring Holder
- 03. AccusizeTools 3/4” x 10” Indexable Boring Bar
- 04. AccusizeTools 3/8” x 6” Indexable Boring Bar
- 05. AccusizeTools ½” x 7” Indexable Boring Bar
- 06. Lathe Boring Bar Holder
- 07. AccusizeTools 5/8” x 8” Indexable Boring Bar
- 08. 2-inch Boring Head Set
- 09. HHIP 1001-0105 Boring Tool Set
- 10. Micro 100 Radius Boring Tool Set
- Choosing the Best Boring Bars:
Table of the Best Boring Bars:
01. SCLCR Lathe Boring Holder
The SCLCR Lather Boring Holder is arguably one of the widely used boring holders today. It is made of strong steel that gives the holder a prolonged lifespan. It features three boring bars such as So7K-SCLCR06, S12M-SCLCR06, and S10K-SCLCR06. It has a 90-degree lead cutting angle and cuts in the right-hand direction. Other than the 3 pieces of boring bars, this product also comes with 3 pieces Wrench, 10 pieces CCMT0602 inserts, and a carry box.
- Cheap, yet high quality
- Ideal for small hole machining
- 02. TBBN/S Boring Tool
This excellent boring tool plays a critical role in ensuring effective machining operations. It creates accurately sized holes. It features 4 pieces of boring bars that cut in a positive rake angle to minimize the cutting force. It is packaged together with 2 hex keys, 5 TPGB-221 inserts, and 10 TPGB-321 inserts.
- Heavy-duty boring bars
- Neutral rake
- Effective inserts
03. AccusizeTools 3/4” x 10” Indexable Boring Bar
This boring bar is effective when it comes to roughing and machine finishing small bores. Works well with inserts like #0.005AKHO1 and #AKH01, mainly when cutting aluminum. It has a negative 5-degree edge and side cutting direction. The package consists of uncoated carbon inserts, key, and profiling bar for slight finishing as well as finishing processes.
- Great fine gloss finish
- About 45HRC Bar hardness
- Diamond CCGT inserts (Positive 80 degrees)
04. AccusizeTools 3/8” x 6” Indexable Boring Bar
This well-designed and the budget-friendly boring tool is ideal for slight roughing and finishing mainly in small bores. It features a profiling bar that plays the role of either semi-finishing or finishing a workpiece. It has a bar hardness of roughly 45 HRC and gives an extreme gloss finish. Items included in the package are CCMT 21.51 inserts and key.
- Profiling bar available to semi-finish and finish a workpiece
- Exceptional bar hardness
- Extreme gloss finish
- Side cutting angle
- Diamond CCMT inserts
05. AccusizeTools ½” x 7” Indexable Boring Bar
Do you have any lathe that you want to machine finish? If yes, this quality bore bar will surpass your expectations. It has nice, clear marks that are helpful during the machining process since you can easily determine the right place for holding the boring bar. It is designed with hardened steels and comes with replaceable inserts.
- High-quality finish
- Robust and long-lasting
- Replaceable inserts
06. Lathe Boring Bar Holder
If you want a broad range of boring bars, you should order this set. You will get three pieces of boring bars, which include S12M-SCLCR06, S10K-SCLCRO6, and S07K-SCLCR06. It has a lead cutting angle of 90 degrees. The package comprises of 10 pieces of CCMT0602 inserts and 3 pieces of the wrench.
- Made of steel
- Excellent hole-making process
- 3 pieces of bore bars
07. AccusizeTools 5/8” x 8” Indexable Boring Bar
This quality Indexable boring bar has gained the confidence of many machine-finishing professionals. The maximum bore length is 8 inches while the minimum is 0.886 inches. Choose this set if you want rough or finish a workpiece. The negative 5 degrees coupled with side cutting angle associated with this bore tool allow it produce fine gloss finish
- Hardened steel construction
- Packaged together with Key and Insert CCMT
- High performance
08. 2-inch Boring Head Set
With this boring headset, you will get 9 pieces of robust carbide boring bars. You will perform your machine finishing operations with this tool for an extended period without worrying about repairs or replacement since it is made of sturdy stainless steel.
- Long lasting
- Excellent finish
- 9 Pieces of sturdy carbide boring bars
09. HHIP 1001-0105 Boring Tool Set
Are you looking for a rigid, boring tool that guarantees free boring and definite hole size accuracy? Do you want a bar holder that moves easily and smoothly? Well, the HHIP Boring Tool set will deliver just that. This tool set features hardened and ground regulating screw created for durable and trouble-free use.
- Long lasting
- Easy to use
- Design guarantees superior rigidity
- Freely and smoothly moving bar holder
10. Micro 100 Radius Boring Tool Set
This cutting-edge boring tool meets the needs of most machine applications, which need boring/turning. Boring devices available in this tool set are effective as far as roughing and finishing a workpiece is concerned. The boring tool has a nose radius of 0.003 inches while the cutter diameter tolerance is between +0.000 inch and -0.002 inches, guarantee ultimate accuracy and performance. The cutting edge of each tool has a unique mirror-like finish, which substantially improves material removal as well as surface finishes.
- Made in the USA
- Both right hand and left-hand boring models available
Choosing the Best Boring Bars:
When preparing for production, it is critical to reduce cutting forces and to come up with favorable conditions that allow achievement of the greatest possible stability so that the boring tool can endure the stress that usually arises. The shape and design of the workpiece are a key consideration when choosing the least overhang and the greatest tool diameter to use. It is imperative to select the boring tool, tool holder, and cutting data that significantly lowers the cutting forces that ensue during the operation. Here are recommendations for achieving the best possible stability.
- Select the maximum bar diameter but make sure there is sufficient space for chip removal
- Select the minimum overhang but make sure the bar length permits attainment of the recommended holder lengths
- Lead angle should be less than 15 degrees
- Positive rake indexable inserts that lead to lower cutting forces
- Tough carbide grade to endure the stresses subjected to inserts due to the occurrence of chip jamming and vibration
- Select a smaller nose radius compared to cutting depth
As a machinist, you should have a sharp eye for details during the selection of the right bore tools and boring operations. Look for sturdy tools that will deliver accurately sized holes. The 10 aforementioned boring bars and choosing guide in this excerpt will help you make an intelligent buying decision.